Vegan Chocolate and Walnut Brownie Recipe
This absolutely delicious Vegan Chocolate and Walnut Brownies recipe comes from Healthy Food Blog on Instagram. It makes 12 mouth-watering and ‘eat me all’ brownies. The recipe is so easy to make and so yummy served warm with ice-cream.
I purchase coconut oil and cacao powder from Aldi UK as the cost is much lower than a traditional supermarket. For example, a 100g of Sierra Organic 100% cacao powder is £1.69 but you need to keep an eye on their ‘special buys’ baskets. But also visit the section near the soya and almond milk as they have a selection of superfoods, seeds and nuts here.
Cacao has less fat and no sugar so makes it a healthier alternative and ideal for baking and smoothies. My jar of CocoLoco coconut oil at £1.55 at Aldi UK (Summer 2020 prices). I was given a bar of dark Green and Black chocolate for Christmas so I used this in my brownies.
Vegan Chocolate and walnut Brownie Ingredients for 12 squares
If you preferred, visit @heathlyfoodblog on Instagram and she will send you the recipe which you can then download to your mobile.
- ⅔ cup coconut oil
- 100g dark vegan chocolate
- 1 cup of sifted plain flour
- ¼ cup of sifted cacao powder
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 4 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
How to make Vegan Chocolate and Walnut Brownies
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees celsius
- Line a square baking dish with baking parchment
- Heat a saucepan of water, put a bowl inside and melt the chocolate and coconut oil together. Don’t let it burn.
- In a second and larger bowl, add the flour, cacao powder, brown sugar, baking powder and chopped walnuts and mix. Put aside for now.
- Put the eggs and vanilla extract into a third bowl and whisk until combined
- Add the melted chocolate and oil to the larger bowl and fold the mixture together
- Then add the egg and vanilla mixture and combine
- Pour the batter into the lined baking dish and bake for 35 to 40 mins on the middle shelf.
- Allow to cool before removing from the baking dish. Then cut into 12 squares.
What are the benefits of some of the ingredients used to make the brownies?
- Coconut oil – used instead of butter as a vegan brownie. Contains healthy fatty acids which may encourage the body to burn fats, and provide quick energy to the brain and body.
- 100% organic cacao chocolate – ideal for vegans and is a superfood. Contains fibre, protein, potassium, magnesium, antioxidants, vegan friendly, No sugar, chocolate alternative.
- Walnuts – rich in antioxidants and omega-3
Recipe credit: Instagram @healthyfoodblog
Photography credit: Lesley @foodbombkitchen